Wednesday 9 March 2016

A Tribute to Frida


Today I am sharing a journal page I made in tribute to the wonderful artist Frida Kahlo. The stamp of Frida is from Stampotique and I love it :). This page nearly ended up in the bin - and I am still not completely sure about it - but I am glad I persevered with it nonetheless. It took me a long time to learn the lesson that with mixed media it often looks awful before it starts to come together!


I didn't take an process pics this time but this is how I created it:

1 Randomly smear various colours of DecoArt fluid acrylics onto a piece of mixed media paper.

2 Add stenciling with white paint - I stencilled the pattern and then flipped it and printed with what was left of the paint.

3 Add black splats using a DecoArt Permanent Mister, purple stamping with bubble wrap and a bottle top, black stamping (eye stamp) and some lines made in white paint with the edge of a credit card.

4 Stamp Frida onto acetate and cut out in a square. Add a bit of gesso to the page behind where her face will be so it's not obscured then staple the acetate in place. Doodle a border with black permanent marker,

5 Stamp the Finnabair paintbrush stamp (which includes the words), add a bit of colour and stick down. Embellish with a heart and some sequin waste.

Out of my comfort zone with this one so I'd love to know what you think!

See you very soon I hope,
Katy x

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, colourful artwork Katy. You is well clever darling. Love it. Suz xxx

    ReplyDelete